Key control measures for managing the Ex risks include:
- identifying and managing hazardous areas
- controlling emissions of flammable vapours, gases and mists (see below)
- use of ventilation systems to control vapours during both normal and abnormal conditions (e.g. leak or spill)
- eliminating ignition sources from hazardous areas (see below)
- installing systems to detect leaks of flammable gases or vapours and enable response actions to be taken
- using intrinsically safe, flameproof, etc equipment
- substituting flammable materials for ones that are less flammable or combustible
- ensuring incompatible materials (e.g. oxidizers and oils) are separated or segregated
- reducing quantities of flammable and combustible materials, including items that contribute to the fire load but that are not hazardous chemicals themselves (e.g. wooden pallets, oil)
- ensuring equipment used in handling flammable hazardous chemicals is maintained in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions
- adopting good housekeeping practices to minimise accumulation of combustible dusts.
All about money, time and efforts, BUT more about saving life.