• Approved Bodies – A conformity assessment body which has been approved by the Secretary of State or was a ‘Notified Body’ prior to the UK leaving the EU.
• Authorised Representative – A person appointed in writing by a manufacturer to perform specific tasks for the manufacturer. Manufacturers remain ultimately responsible for ensuring these tasks are carried out properly. This includes persons who are based in the EU, the EEA or Switzerland, if they were appointed before the UK left the EU.
• Declaration of conformity – A document prepared by the manufacturer which must detail the following:
o The specific product to which the declaration is referring;
o The name and address of the manufacturer and, where applicable, their authorised representative;
This must be kept by the manufacturer for a period of ten years from the date on which product was placed on the market. This declaration must be made available to the enforcing authority upon request.
• Distributor – Any person in the UK supply chain, other than the manufacturer or the importer, who makes a product available on the UK market.
• Market Surveillance Authority – This is the Health and Safety Executive or the Office for Nuclear Regulation (when the product is used on a nuclear site).
• Importer – A person established in the UK who places a product from a country outside of the UK on the market. A person who before the UK left the EU distributed products within the EU (including the UK) or from Switzerland will now be an importer if they are bringing products into the UK from another country (including EU Member States, the EEA or Switzerland).
• Manufacturer – A person who manufactures a product, or has a product designed or manufactured, and markets that product under their name or trademark.
• UK Conformity Marking – The UKCA (UK Conformity Assessed) marking is the new UK conformity marking used for certain goods being placed on the UK market, in place of the CE marking which is the conformity marking used in the European Union.
Keep up the good work!