Most of EPCs, owners, designers, etc are not aware of it.
More and more I am told about the compliance of Ex non.electrical the following way:
- Ex certified electrical motor
- the pump is protected by a temperature sensor (Ex ib)
- and everything is properly grounded
Non.electrical Ex is a must have in case of all Ex installations with non.electrical ignition sources.
According to ATEX Directive 2014/34/EU:
- as per cat1 3rd party certification is required by an approved Notified Body
- as per cat2 manufaturer’s declaration with technical file registration from an approved Notified Body is required
- as per cat3 manufacturer’s declaration is the minimum requirement
Note: voluntary Ex certification is an option for both cat 2 and 3
According to IECEx for all cases the involvement of a Certification Body shall be there.
Question: so the use of temperature sensor is enough? Sure not.
Awareness is a key topic here.
Keep up good work!